Electrician Shinnecock Hills

Signs It’s Time to Call an Expert Suffolk County Electrician

If you’re located in Suffolk County and you’re in need of electrical repair services, contact the experts at RFG Electrical Contracting. For more than 20 years, our fully licensed and insured electricians have been servicing the residents and business owners of Shinnecock Hills, NY. No matter what type of electrical problem you’re experiencing, you can count on the high-quality service, fast results, and affordable prices that RFG Electrical Contracting provides. The safety and satisfaction of the clients we serve are always our top priority.

Every year, countless people across the country sustain electricity-related injuries, and many of these injuries are avoidable. Often, they occur because property owners ignore the signs that indicate there’s a problem with their electrical systems. 

While very useful, electricity can be extremely dangerous. Like any other system in your home or business, components of an electrical system can fail. Not knowing the signs that indicate something is wrong – or ignoring the signs – could also lead to catastrophe.

What type of electrical problems warrants a call to an electrician? If you’re experiencing any of the following issues, you’ll want to get in touch with a reputable Shinnecock Hills electrical contractor right away.

Flickering Lights

Flickering lights aren’t always a sign of a serious problem; in fact, if only one light is affected, chances are a loose or faulty bulb is to blame. However, if you’ve checked the bulb or changed it and the issue persists, or if several lights in your home or business are flickering, you should definitely contact a professional electrician.

Flickering lights could indicate a problem with your electrical system; it could be overloaded or there might be an issue with the wiring, for example. A professional electrician will inspect the system to locate the source of the problem and make any necessary repairs to correct it.

A Fishy Smell

It’s not unusual for new appliances to emit an odor when they’re first plugged, but if you haven’t powered up any new appliances and you notice a strange fishy smell, something is definitely wrong.

When circuits overheat, the chemicals and materials used in the outlets, insulation, or circuit breakers emit a fish-like odor. There are several reasons why circuits can overheat; loose connections, frayed cords, improperly sized fuses, and worn insulation are just a few examples. The presence of a fishy odor is an electrical emergency and you need to contact a licensed electrician immediately. Overheating circuits can lead to a fire, and the longer you wait, the greater the danger. 

Hot Switch Plates and Outlets

Electrical current can make an outlet or switch plate a bit warm, but these receptacles should never be hot. If any outlets or switch plates are hot to the touch, the first thing you should do is unplug any appliances or turn off the switches. The next thing you need to do is call a Suffolk County electrician to investigate.

Hot switch plates or outlets could be a sign of faulty wiring, a problem that needs to be addressed by a professional.

Odd Sounds

When electricity is functioning properly, it flows quietly between connections; however, if there’s an issue with the system, you might hear a strange buzzing or humming sound.

When connections are damaged, electrical current jumps and that jump produces a buzzing or humming sound. If you notice an odd sound and you can trace it back to an outlet or switch plate, stop using the receptacle immediately and call an experienced electrician.


If sparks are flying out of any electrical receptacle, you have a serious situation on your hands. Shut off the circuit breaker and contact an electrical contractor right away. Sparks indicate that something is seriously wrong with your electrical system, and the issue may extend far beyond what you can visibly see. While it goes without saying, it’s worth mentioning that sparks can lead to fire, especially if they come into contact with cellulose material, such as wood, wallpaper, carpeting, or cabinetry.


If you spot any rust marks on your outlets, electrical panels, light switches, or any other receptacles, you’ve got a big problem. Rust is a sign of moisture damage, and moisture and electricity don’t mix. The entire electrical system could become damaged; not to mention there’s a serious risk of fire or electrocution.

Frequently Tripped Breakers or Blown Fuses

Circuit breakers and fuses are designed to fail when they become overloaded to prevent property damage and fire. If an appliance trips the circuit breaker or blows a fuse no matter where you plug it in, it’s likely that the appliance is to blame; however, if the breaker keeps tripping or fuses keep blowing whenever you use a specific outlet, regardless of what you’re plugging into it, the circuit may be faulty.

A faulty circuit needs to be checked out by a professional electrician. It might need to be upgraded or a new line may need to be installed.

Experiencing Electrical Problems in Suffolk County? Contact RFG Electrical Contracting!

Dismissing signs of trouble with your electrical system could lead to serious danger. If you’re experiencing any of the above-mentioned problems – or anything else seems amiss – contact a professional electrician right away.

The licensed, certified, and highly experienced electricians at RFG Electrical Contracting will address any issues you may be having. Our team of professionals will run diagnostic tests to pinpoint the issue and make any necessary repairs to restore the safety of your property. To learn more about the services we offer or to schedule an appointment, call 631-750-1550 today!